How to prepare and cover a football match Live
Before the match
Editorial decision: Hype VS Engagement
You can create the stream some days before the match and publish it in the website using the Event Reminder Functionality.
This will allow you to
- have a countdown
- start to promote the webpage some days before the coverage and notify the audience when the coverage starts
- add an “opt in” option, so that readers interested in receiving email campaigns can leave their email address - this information will be stored in the audience profiling analytics as well.
How to add an event reminder
You can create engagement for days before the kick off and have a stream open far before the actual kick off
Open the liveblog a couple of days before the match
This will allow you to:
- start to promote the URL of the page
- have the audience returning to the page and see the updates
- launch contest or User Generated Content Campaigns
- start to get audience information with customized profiling forms
How to launch a stream
Use case: this is what Juventus did for the Champions League Finale
http://www.juventus.com/it/news/news/2014/il-liveblog-della-finale-di-champions-league.php (Click on “il più vecchio” to see the stream from the beginning)
Use Case: Radio Bremen hosted the fan “cabin sermon” using the interactivity features of Scribblelive (website and on facebook page)
- Create the content icons that you want to use during the match coverage to highlight key moments, sponsored content or - with the API to give the audience the ability to filter the stream (based on the team? - long term decision)
(Kick Off, Goal, Penalty, Corner, Change,...)
How to create and use content icons
1 of 3
- Prepare the customized profiling forms. Adapt the questions that you want to ask to your audience to the context. The information that you will get will concurr in the advancement of the Audience Profile, but will also allow you to filter your analytics based on these pieces of information.
- Decide how you want to use the in-stream ads
3 of 3
- Prepare the appropriate embed template so that the content of the live coverage fits the look and feel of your website. Default Embed Template: TorontoStar
How you can create your customized embed template
- You can prepare content in advance to have it ready when you want to use it during the coverage.
Raw Feeds usually includes:
- Streams where you auto-follow a specific list of twitter users
- Trivia facts and statistics about the match
- Pictures of the football players
- infographics and statistics
- photogalleries and slideshows
- call to action
- streams for the reporters on the field, so that someone else will decide when is the most appropriate moment to publish their content in the official live and published stream
This article shows you how to prepare the raw feeds and how to easily integrate the content in your live coverage
- Prepare the profiling forms that you might want to use to get information from your audience.The information that you will get will be stored in the Analytics Audience Profile.
- Prepare the distribution plan on social media using Projects . Plan social media content that will help you to automatically pushed out call to action and invite to follow the coverage on the dedicated link that you have created. You will also be able to measure the results of individual posts, do some A/B testing and measure the conversion rate.
- Decide if you want to make your content available via syndication using the ScribbleMarket. Do you want to increase your audience or do you want to share the content with sponsors or content partners? The idea is that all of the Scribblelive clients or whoever has a passport license can replicate your content.
This works better than simply giving them the embed code for three reasons:
1) Their audience doesn't affect your UEM consumption.
2) You can separate in the analytics your own traffic from theirs - in this way you have a better idea of your own performance
For example, Euronews heavily promote the Syndication for free http://www.euronews.com/live-
coverage-syndication/This article explains how easily you can share your content in the ScribbleMarket
And don't forget that with your Scribblelive Account you can also select the content that you want to publish on your own website.
Before the kick off and during the half time break
- Use the raw feed to curate content from social networks
- Have one person that goes around the stadium taking exclusive pictures of fan, tunnel, curoisity using the Scribblelive APP that all the users within your account can download for Android and Apple Store. This content can be funneled in a raw feed and then re-use it
- Publish trivia facts and stats
- Ask specific questions to the fans and have them answer as "discussions"
- Launch contest among the fans or specific call to actions (show your rituals, wave your family from the stadium, …)
- Prepare a slideshow of the team that will kick off the match
You need a break, but don’t forget to
- Schedule some content, for example some polls and a comments every two minutes (trivia, pictures, comments) that can appear in the stream so that the audience stays there.
- Consider having someone who does a bit of community management
- Have an expert/journalist available for video comments or for a summary
You can also use the Article feature to:
- Create a slideshow of the best tweets of the match so that once it is published the Twitter users will be notified
- Write an Article that is a summary of the key moment of the first half and attach it to the stream or pubish it on the website
Make sure you don’t abandon the coverage: you might even have a peak of audience of those who wants to know the results. So it is a great moment to keep the coverage going.
- Do the transcript of the press conference directly in the stream, one piece after the other, even with the Quick Editor.
- Ask specific questions to the audience
- Launch the man of the match poll (this might be a great sponsored content highlighed with an icon)
- Publish all the stats and the infographics in the stream to make it the “place to go”. It is easy to republish that somewhere else in other parts of your website as content atoms
The day after the match
- use “content atoms” from the stream to enrich the articles published in the website
- Use Scribblelive Article to publish the of the single match